Sunday, November 13, 2016

Default Attitudinal Responses

I have struggled with this response for multiple days now. I don't know if it's because it has been hard for me to put into words or if it has been too hard for me to take notice to these responses. Everyone has these default responses and it is vital that we take notice to these reactions to help better improve our interactions with those around us.

I grew up in southern Utah. All of my life, I have been surrounded by white people, consumed in an LDS community and lived in a very red state. Despite all of these things, I was raised in a home that taught me to love the people around me, give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and be as non-judgmental as possible.

As I read through my On The Media posts, I began to recognize some of my default responses. I was writing about issues that I have never even come close to experiencing. Things like living in poverty, being in a war-struck community, and keeping myself safe. I have never experienced any of these things because I live in a safe community with safe people and in a steady household. As I read my posts, I realized that it was nearly impossible for me to fully understand/comprehend these topics because I have never experienced them myself.

Because of my circumstances, I react to certain things automatically. Things like drug use, abortion, political parties, guns, and religion. But it is my responsibility to take notice to these responses and decide whether they are helping me or hurting me. Before this class, I never would have thought of these responses. And wow, I am happy that I have.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          

1 comment:

  1. Annie, I like how you posted about topics that you've never experienced before. I too found myself posting about topics that I've never experienced either. But yet, we still have our bias' about them no matter if we've experienced them before or not. I think it's important to recognize that and then be able to listen to the people who've gone through those things and hear their point of view.

    ReplyDelete